Dr. Worthen is not accepting new referrals at this time.
This notice will be removed when he is able to accept new referrals for evaluation or consultation.

Send Records to Dr Worthen

If you have, or plan to, retain me for clinical-forensic psychological services, e.g., an Initial Consultation regarding VA compensation for PTSD, you will in most cases need to send me relevant records. 

The most secure method for sending records to me is mailing them via the U.S. Postal Service (USPS). I recommend mailing your records using Priority Mail so that they arrive quickly and you can track your mailing online. 

Please mail records to:

Mark D Worthen PsyD
PO BOX 1907
FAIRVIEW NC 28730-1907

Note that neither UPS nor FedEx can deliver mail to a USPS post office box, i.e., you must use the U.S. Postal Service.

If you have not already done so, be sure to submit a Request for Professional Services.

Frequently Asked Questions

Question: Can I send you my records as an attachment in an email? 

Answer: Yes, although there are security considerations. 

I use a more secure than average email service - Runbox.com - an email company in Norway, which provides enhanced email privacy, stricter Norwegian privacy laws, and secure transfer of emails.

However, the security of email from your computer to my Runbox email server is another question. There are a lot of variables involved, and it is rather technical.

In general, email is not a secure method unless you send an encrypted email, and encrypt the files containing your records. 

Such encryption is not easy, but if you understand the technology, you can send an email to me {mark[at]drworthen[dot]net} using OpenPGP encryption. My public key is available on the MIT PGP Public Key Server--search for mark[at]drworthen[dot]net (type it the correct way for an email address - I type it differently on this web page to prevent harvesting by spambots).

I cannot send an unencrypted email to you if it contains any personally identifiable information (PII) or personal health information (PHI), both of which are terms with specific legal meanings under the HIPAA laws. Once you retain me for clinical-forensic psychological services, I recommend that we communicate via phone any time we need to discuss your PII or PHI, which is almost all the time. ;o)

Question: Can I fax records to you?

Answer: Yes, you can fax records to me at 828-707-9531. I use an Internet fax service, which means I access your fax on the company's secured server. This provides a reasonable level of security, although there are technical considerations on your end. In other words, what kind of fax method you use affects security. Generally, a traditional landline fax machine or an Internet fax service will be reasonably secure. 

With a traditional landline fax, the biggest security problem is sending your fax to the wrong number. Therefore, it pays to triple-check my fax number (828-707-9531) before hitting the 'Send' button.

With an Internet fax service, be sure to send your fax from Internet fax company's website, not by emailing a document to the fax service. Emailing to the fax service means you must pay attention to several email security concerns.

Question: What records do you need? 

Answer: To some extent it depends on the nature of your VA disability compensation claim, but in general I need:

  • Veterans military records.
  • VA medical records (if you have received treatment at a VA facility).
  • Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA) Rating Decisions and any related documents.
  • Private medical records, particularly mental health (including substance abuse) treatment, and primary care (personal doctor) records.

I provide extensive, detailed information about how you one can obtain all such records on my PTSDexams.com website.